Sunday, November 9, 2008

Baby, Baby, Baby!

She has come, at last. Catherine Rose Gaetano was born a 1:30AM on November 9th, 2008. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 1 oz and measured 18 1/2 inches. I think she made some sort of record with her speedy arrival. Just an hour and fifteen minutes after we checked into the maternity ward, Cate was born.

She came out in just 4 pushes, compared to Dominic's 4 hours. We left the house at midnight and delivered at 1:30AM. I had been having regular contractions for about 4 hours, but they weren't terribly strong (I slept through 2 hours of them), and they were about 15 minutes apart. Then, at 11:30 my water broke. We called the doctor and she told us to come in. When she asked if I was having contractions, I told her that I hadn't had any since my water broke (20 minutes or so). So we checked into labor and delivery and were sent to a preliminary exam room where they check your progress before they officially admit you. While we waited in there (30 minutes), I started having terrible, terrible contractions. I wanted an epidural, and I wanted it NOW! Where was the doctor? Why was it taking so long? Finally the doctor comes in, sees my awful contractions, apologizes, checks my progress, and announces that I'm at 10 cm and this baby will be coming within the hour! That put some hustle in the nurses. :) And so Catherine Rose came out crying just 30 minutes after we were set up in a delivery room. It was a wild ride.

Cate and I are both doing well, resting up from our sprint to the end, and getting to know one another. She is a little thing with very delicate features and a head of very dark hair. I'll put up pictures just as soon as I can.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet baby, welcome to the world! We are so excited to meet you. You have a wonderful daddy and mommy.

    Love, Jason and Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy news! Can't wait to see pictures! Congratulation and love to all four of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! She missed my birthday, Nov. 8th, by one day. God Bless your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congratulations! What wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete